I am always being asked for my advice about what equipment should be taken on trips to out-of-the-way places. My initial response is to take as little as possible. The more you know, the less you need right? With the below items you should be able to operate for extended periods of time. The below items should fit into a medium size day sack that should be able to carried onto a plane.
Items like pocket knives etc. would need to go checked or found at location. This is a guide and not all these items will be required on all trips, do your threat assessments and plan all trips properly before you travel.
Operational Deployment Equipment List – Personal kit
- $500.00 USD minimum in cash, small bills, to be split up, water proofed and concealed in various locations on your person. Same for credit and bank cards.
- Communications, will cell phones work, can you get local phones/chips? Remember chargers!
- Day Pack and fanny pack/belt pouch
- Pocket knife & multi-tool (unable to take as carry-on luggage)
- Personal first aid kit: tampons, gauze, duct tape, bobby/safety pins and antiseptic cream.
- Water bottles + purification tabs (water can be boiled in steel alloy bottles!)
- Bug juice + sun block
- Maps (water proofed) and compass
- At least one Flashlight + spare batteries (headlamps are great alternatives)
- Personal water filter
- Bogota lock picks, lock shims & diamond/needle files
- Para cord
- Duct tape
- Wash kit: tooth-brush + paste, soap, razor
- Sewing kit
- Smoke signals + flares (unable to take as carry-on luggage)
- Blanket (poncho liner)
- Poncho (for shelter and use as a rain coat)
- Note book and pens and post-it notes
- Emergency power, batteries or solar etc.
- 2 X extra pants (quick drying) and long sleeve t-shirts (under-armor type, Wal-Mart brand works, consider colors, do you want to be seen or not!)
- At least 2 X pairs of extra socks
- Boots (broken-in), flip-flops
- Gloves and Balaclava (if tactical)
- Weapons if legal and required
- Local laws on use of force
- Sources of food and water
- Accommodation and electricity
- Laundry service
- Where can you change currency
- Additional operational equipment